Thursday, March 27, 2014

Do you hate what you do?

When I was a working mom, I really had to make time for exercise or else I didn't do it at all.  Mostly it was a drag and I'd find myself on the treadmill counting the minutes or in a class trying to avoid the instructor's gaze.  Over the years I have done Jazzercise, Yoga, running, weight lifting classes, and random machines at the gym.  Now that I am a stay at home mom, I have more time to try and get in shape.  I needed something different, mostly just to motivate me to do it.

My friend Diahann asked me if I would be interested in a new workout place she'd found, called 9Round.  I tried it, and liked it, so I signed up for a 6 month membership.  You go through 9 "rounds" or stations with different exercises at each station.  The trainer comes around and tells you what to do at each station. Each round only lasts for 3 minutes.  There's a bell that tells you when to move on to the next round.  In between you do 30 seconds of cardio, which the trainer calls out and tells you what do to.  The whole session takes only 30 minutes and works just about every part of your body. You get to wear boxing gloves for some of the rounds, which is different and fun.  There are no set class times, you just come in whenever you can and go through the rounds.  Here's a link to their website: http://www.9round.com/

I like it because it is over in 30 minutes, and I am working out my arms and abs more (something I didn't get with running).  It's also kind of fun to punch a bag with pink boxing gloves.  There are some motivational posters up in the 9Round gym with Muhammad Ali quotes. I think we all know the "float like a butterfly" one, but this one I found particularly interesting:
 
He hated every minute of training.  Hated every minute? Seriously? Why would you go through all that if you hated it? I guess being a champion was the most important thing to him, no matter what he had to do.  He must've trained for countless hours, weeks, years even in order to get to his goal of being a champion.  He hated it all that time? When I was running I mostly hated it, but loved it when I got to the end of my run. I loved what I was able to accomplish for myself personally with longer and longer runs.   I guess everyone says the trick is to love what you do, find a workout that you love, or a sport that you enjoy playing.  How sad would it be to go through life, hating every minute of what you do?  I like 9Round because for me it's something different.  Even if I hate parts of it, like mountain climbers or planks, it only lasts for 3 minutes, tops!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a franchise called "Curves" that I've seen in Philly. I like the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I think it's just like Curves, only with boxing gloves!

    ReplyDelete