Monday, March 31, 2014

Moms. We just DO.

Working moms do it all: work all day, housework at home, homework with the kids, grocery shop on weekends, and on and on.  After the birth of my 3rd child, I had a female boss of mine say to me, "I don't know how you do it -- 3 kids!"  This lady had no kids of her own.  Most of the time working moms don't know how they do it, either.  They just get up everyday and do what they have to do.  It's not like most of us have a choice.

Kate Winslet with her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame


Last week I saw Kate Winslet on the Today Show talking about shooting the movie Divergent.   She told the Today Show that when they called her up to do re-shoots for Divergent she thought, “How am I going to do this?  I would feed and shoot and nurse and the milk would go back to the hotel and my equipment would come back, and we’d do the stunt and I’d act,” she said. And then Kate Winslet just totally summed it up. She said, “There’s something really empowering about going, ‘Hell, I can do this! I can do all this!’ That’s the wonderful thing about mothers, you can because you must, and you just DO.” 

I have seen some moms (me included) that thrive on the stress.  The more there is to do, the faster we work to get it done.  Big project at work? Nailed it.  Birthday party for 2 year old? Bouncy house and cotton candy machine, check. Coach a soccer team? Why not?  Bake cupcakes for school party? Who needs to sleep?  Run a half marathon and raise money for charity? Sure! I look back at all the things I've juggled over the past 10 years and it makes my head spin.  I look at other moms I know and I am amazed.  I know one who has 2 kids, teaches school and runs triathlons.  I know another who has 4 kids, works full time, and decided to become a foster parent.  Another mom of 3 homeschools, blogs, and just wrote her first book.  Whether we are working moms or stay at home moms, we get stuff done, because all of us moms just DO.

1 comment: