Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Laundry: The Neverending Story




My new motivational sign for the laundry room. LOL

The problem with the laundry is that it is never completely done.  Since it is never completely done, there is no sense of accomplishment; there is no check off on my to do list.  When I was a working mom, I did a load of laundry here and there.  Some loads at night, most loads on the weekends in between the kids' activities.  I used to work with a mom of three kids that would put a load in before work, and put it in the dryer when she got home.  She would do this every day.  EVERY DAY. 

When we lived in Omaha, our house had the washer and dryer downstairs, and all the bedrooms were upstairs.  There was a laundry shoot from the master bedroom closet into the laundry room, which was kinda fun.  It was easy to send the dirty laundry flying down the chute. I could even convince my kids to put their own laundry down the chute, most of the time.   As a result, there would always be tons of dirty laundry piled up down there.  Sometimes it would get washed and dried and then unloaded onto the dining room table for folding.  It would then stay there indefinitely. I am talking weeks at a time.  Many days my girls would go to the dining room table to get dressed.  Don't judge.  They would always look for socks there on the dining room table.  On the rare occasion where I actually took everything upstairs, they would get upset when they came downstairs to look for socks in the dining room, only to realize that they had to go back upstairs to their actual dressers for socks. 

At our house in NC, the washer and the dryer are upstairs, as are all the bedrooms (insert Hallelujah Chorus here).  SO much easier!  And yet it is still never completely done.  I suppose mainly because I would rather do ANYTHING else than fold laundry.  Today I did 6 loads --- washed, dried, folded and 80% put away.  My mother is the ultimate laundry professional.  She even irons; remarkably she loves to iron.  I am not kidding.  I am sure that I will never reach her level of laundry professional.  I certainly didn't inherit her good housework genes, that's for sure. 

My husband started packing for a business trip last night and joked that he was going to have a matching sock party.  I did not find that at all funny.  However it's true that I hate to match socks.  I have convinced the girls that it's ok to wear unmatched socks.  It's a fashion trend! Hubs also said that he was going to buy 365 pairs of socks so that he could just throw them away every day.  Hmmm, now that sounds like a good business idea to me!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read.
    supply only laundry chutes

    ReplyDelete