Thursday, April 24, 2014

Million Dollar Baby

I was looking for a movie to rent for our plane ride to Florida, and came across  Million Dollar Baby on iTunes.  Although this film won best picture in 2004, I never saw it, and I didn't know how it ended (or if I did, I forgot a long time ago).  With my recent interest in 9Round boxing classes, I thought it might be interesting to watch a girl boxer movie. 
I would love to have shoulder muscles like this!
 
It's a great movie with a gut wrenching ending.  Maggie, the main character played by Hillary Swank, comes from a trailer park in Missouri.  She saves every penny that she makes as a waitress on boxing gloves and on her training.  When she starts working with trainer Frankie, played by Clint Eastwood, she can't even work the speed bag (maybe there's hope for me yet). Frankie tells her several times, "I don't train girls."  She pesters him enough until he agrees to train her. With hard work and determination she starts winning fights.  Frankie and Maggie travel around Europe winning more and more.  She even works her way to the $1 million dollar title fight in Vegas. 
 
Unfortunately in the end Maggie is robbed of everything; however she doesn't see it that way. In her mind, she did everything that she had set out to do.  For her, almost winning it all was good enough.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment