Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Flex arm hang


There is a new TV show on ABC called the Goldbergs.  It is set in the 80's around a family with 3 kids.  I love this show so much, and my kids love it too.  It seems like every week I can totally relate to the show and it reminds me of being a kid growing up in the 80's. 
 
We had a chin up bar like this in our house, too.

This week's episode is about the Presidential Physical Fitness Test.  I had to do this in PE class in 6th grade at the Rogersville City School cira 1982.  We did a shuttle run, a sprint, sit ups, and the dreaded flex arm hang.  The boys had to do chin ups.  The girls weren't required to do chin ups, but rather just hold our chins above the chin up bar for about 25 seconds or so.  I could pass every part of the test, except this one.  I practiced and practiced for weeks. When it was time for the test, I remember Coach Pierce telling me that it was my turn. I stepped up to the chin up bar as he stood there waiting with a stopwatch. I hopped up and pulled my chin above the bar, counting off the seconds in my head.  Finally after what seemed like an eternity, I let go and looked at him.  Coach Pierce looked at me and said blankly, "You missed it by 1 second."  Really? ONE SECOND?  I was so upset because all my friends had passed the test except me.  I was crushed. 
 
When I told my husband this story, he said, "So what if you didn't pass?  Who cares?"  He did not share my drive of excelling in school, apparently.  I guess it didn't matter in the scope of my life if I passed this test or not.  But I really practiced and tried my best to pass.   In this instance, my best wasn't good enough.  I did lots of things well in school, but this wasn't one of them.  I look at my kids now, and my older daughter, who is in 3rd grade,  shares my drive to excel in school.  She wants to be the smartest and to get the best grades.  Changing schools in February this year was hard for her, because some things (like how to find the perimeter of a shape) she just hasn't learned yet.  Everyone else in her class already knows how to do this, she tearfully told us a few nights ago. 

I want my kids to do well at school, but I know there will be times when they won't.  I suppose sometimes struggle and failure builds character.  After helping our 3rd grader with her math homework the other night, my husband commented that he thought that pretty soon he wouldn't be able to help her with her math anymore.  Math really isn't his thing, and these word problems are pretty intense.  I just laughed and told him not to worry; there is nothing I can't figure out!  After all, that's what Google is for, right?







1 comment:

  1. Peak Kickboxing / Jiu Jitsu is a Martial Arts & Fitness Gym serving the Denver area. Centrally located in Lakewood this fully equipped Mixed Martial Arts School offers Muay Thai Denver kickboxing, Denver Jiu Jitsu, MMA training Denver, & Kids Karate & Martial Arts classes. We offer a FREE 30 Day trial to check out the classes and instructors. Students love the motivational atmosphere and the level of attention that the coaches give. If your searching for a Denver Martial Arts or Kickboxing class near Denver take a free trial with Peak Kickboxing / Jiu Jitsu and you will get inspired! Safest, Cleanest and Funnest place to start training in Mixed Martial Arts. Come give one of our awesome classes a try and check out our facility!




    Address: 9650 East Arapahoe Road, Greenwood Village, CO, 80112

    Phone: (303) 799-4804

    business email: Info@kickboxingdenver.com

    ReplyDelete