Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Running

I got started with running about 3 years ago when I decided to start exercising again after having my 3rd child. I was working full time, had a nanny for my kids, and was trying to lose weight with Weight Watchers. I had been avoiding exercise with every excuse in the book, but my main one was that I just didn't have the time.

Finally I joined a gym, and committed to just walking on the treadmill for 15 minutes a few times during the workweek. I would bolt out of work, drive the 25 miles back to my town, zip into the gym, change clothes, walk for 15 minutes, and then zip home in time for my nanny to leave around 6:15p. Back then my husband was working at a different job where he didn't get home most nights until 7pm. I did this for a few months and then figured out that if I could run for those 15 minutes, I would burn more calories. And wasn't that the whole point of this anyway? So I tried running on the treadmill. I couldn't even make it to one minute without stopping. I couldn't breathe. This was terrible. Was I really this out of shape? My goal was to be able to run through one song on my iPod.

I came across a couch to 5k program on the Internet and decided to try it. By alternating running and walking, I found that I could increase my stamina each week. I also found more time for running on the weekends and even early in the morning before work sometimes. I took my running shoes with me when I travelled for work. I've run in Central Park in NYC, on the beach in Miami, in Hong Kong on the Tsim Sha Tsui, and down Beverly Boulevard in Los Angeles.

I completed that first 5k, a couple more, an 8k on Thanksgiving Day, and a 10K. Last year I even completed a half marathon (13.1 miles) with Team in Training and raised over $2500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Now before you get the wrong idea, let me tell you that I am a very slow runner. Running does not come easily for me. I still alternate with walking. I still need to lose 40 pounds to get to my goal weight. I don't look like a runner. At all. But I am a runner.

A few months ago I signed up to run another half marathon in the town where I live. I also joined a training group, since I knew that I would stick to it better if there were other people around. I am by far the slowest runner in the group. During our last training run, I pulled my calf muscle at mile 5 and had to limp back to my car. That was about 10 days ago. I am hoping that it will heal and that I can continue, but I am not sure.

Lots of people tell me that they could never be a runner. That they don't have the time, that it's too hard. I think that people can do whatever they make up their mind to do. Too often we listen to negative people that tell us that we can't do this or that, or that we will never accomplish our goals. What is it that YOU want to do? What is holding you back? Make a list, set some goals, and figure out a way to get there. It might not be easy, but you will be glad that you did.
Me running in Hong Kong 2010

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story! When I became a stay-at-home mom, I amused myself by setting a goal of running a full marathon. It took about a year to train for it, but I finally ran the Columbus Marathon in October 2010. Now I am 8 months pregnant with my second child, and back to work full-time. I miss running terribly, but it's so hard to find the time / motivation between the job and the enormo belly. Good luck with all of your goals, and keep on writing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing your marathon. Maybe I will try to run a full one someday. Try to make some time for yourself after baby #2 comes. Thanks for your comment and good luck!

    ReplyDelete