Thursday, November 10, 2011

I have nothing to wear!

As a working Mom in the fashion industry, there was a certain expectation for personal style and clothing choices at work.  I worked with women who regularly came to work dressed head to toe in new, stylish, outfits just about every day.  They carried handbags by Prada, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton.  They wore designer shoes with 3" heels.  I even had an assistant that dressed almost completely in clothes from Anthropologie.  (If she is reading this, then Hi Brooke!) It was somewhat of a fashion show every day, with all of the women trying to outdo each other.  As a Mom of 3 kids, I was spending my money on diapers and daycare, not Jimmy Choos. But it was hard not to want these things, and occasionally I would get a great deal on something or get a great Christmas gift.  As a buyer, I was constantly shopping, and it was hard not to buy things for myself. 

However most days before work, I would stare into my closet, and announce to no one in particular, "I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!"  My husband would always get a big kick out of this, and say, "Well what are all those clothes in your closet?" I would make another mental note to self that in our next house he and I will have separate closets.  I realized that I needed to stop saying this when my 4 year old daughter started saying this in front of her closet. 

Now, as a stay at home Mom, you would think that I wouldn't have these problems.  You would be wrong.  I have a closet full of "work clothes" and very few "casual clothes".  Now my day consists of what to wear to the school bus stop. Do I put on my workout clothes and go for a run after my dear daughter gets on the bus?  Do I throw on jeans and a sweatshirt?  Do I just stay in my PJs, throw on a robe and drive the .3 miles to the bus stop?  And then I realize, who cares? Well, I guess the answer is that I care.  Today I am going with my youngest daughter on a field trip to Build A Bear.  They are donating the bears to charity.  Again, outfit dilemma.  I have nothing to wear.  I'm just glad I don't have to wear heels. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha it's a lot easier to pick cloth to wear as a stay at home mom, cheaper too.:) As a stay at home mom, I have been taking paid surveys for extra money. Many of those legit paid surveys that pay cash, such as pinecone (you just have to find a pinecone research sign up link to join.)

    ReplyDelete