Wednesday, November 30, 2011

House cleaning YUK

Confession: I am not good at cleaning the house, nor do I have a desire to learn how to do it well.  Since owning my first home in the late 90's, I have always had a maid.  I have also always worked full time.  I love coming home after a day at work, and the house being "magically" cleaned, as if by elves.  My mother and sister are of course, appalled. My mother has always been a stay at home mom and cleaned her own house; my sister has gone from school teacher, back to stay at home mom, back to school teacher, and has always cleaned her own house.  They were both born to clean, almost seeming to revel in it.  My sister's room was always neat, but my mother always picked up my stuff.  I guess I got used to it, what can I say. 
Olga with my 3 kids a few years ago
After Sarah was born we hired a nanny, since we had 3 kids (2 under the age of 2) and both my husband and I worked full time.  Her name is Olga, and she is from El Salvador.  I know, you don't hear of many people named Olga from El Salvador, but that's her name.  She is a few years older than me and has 4 boys of her own.  Her husband, Gene, is from Cuba, and works doing carpentry work and odd jobs.  They are a very hardworking family, and I have enjoyed getting to know them over the years.  Olga was born to clean.  She hardly ever sits down and was always cleaning something or washing something in my house.  My 2 little girls love to imitate her by scrubbing the bathtub or shower door pretending to "wash" it. Lord knows they didn't learn that from me!

Olga left us when Olivia went to Kindergarten, which was about 4 months before I lost my job.  I am thankful that I was able to give Olga enough notice to find another job, and that my job loss didn't trickle down and affect her ability to feed her 4 boys.  Olga still cleans for us every other week.  She laughs at me when I make attempts to clean.  She knows that I'm not good at it, either. PS -- Olga is accepting new houses to clean if you are interested, send me a private message.

No comments:

Post a Comment