Thursday, November 17, 2011

Recruiters and phone interviews

I have had LOTS of phone interviews since losing my job.  Mostly from recruiters, and some from the actual hiring managers.  Back when I was working, you could always tell when someone was trying to get another job.  I would see them outside the building, on their cell phones, not looking at anyone.  Personally, I always got in my car and drove somewhere else so I wouldn't be noticed.  Once I parked at a gas station and was talking to a Walmart recruiter, when my boss pulled into the gas station and started filling up his car.  Oops.  I don't think he noticed me.  I hope not anyway.  By the way, there are quite a few Walmart buyer jobs open now since they are moving merchandising from NYC back to Arkansas.   Send me a message if you want the name of the recruiter.  Their interview process is intense, and I have no desire to live in AR.

ready for my phone interview!

Sometimes recruiters will call me out the blue, and that's when it's good to have your 2 minute elevator speech ready.  You have worked on that since my last blog post about it, right?  Other times they will want to schedule a time when they can ask you a series of questions. I have found it's helpful to stand up and walk around while talking.  It's also helpful to look in a mirror to make sure you're smiling.  It sounds strange but it's true.  Recruiters want to hear that excitement and positive attitude in your voice.  You should also be able to recite your resume from memory. Every date, every figure, every number needs to match up.  You will also want to make sure that your children are under someone else's care.  Even if I lock myself in the study and tell the kids that I have an important phone call, one of them will come banging on the door and yelling MOMMY! Not exactly helpful in the interview process. You should also get dressed.  Not in an interview suit or anything, but make sure that you aren't in your pajamas.  If you feel professional, then you are professional.  Another tip is get a land line.  I know, you ditched your land line years ago and you use your cell phone for everything.  I did too, until I started taking phone interviews at home, and my calls kept dropping. Grrrrr. Thanks AT&T!  I love my iPhone, but AT&T is the worst.  Always remember to thank the caller for their time and follow up with an email in a day or two.  The most important thing to remember is to make it easy for the recruiter to recommend you.  They don't get paid unless they successfully place a candidate.  They want to find good candidates, so make sure that you are one. 

Do you have any other good tips?  If so leave them in the comments below.  I have another phone interview coming up soon. If all goes well, I hope to be invited to their corporate office.  Which leads me to my next post.... the in person, out of town, interview.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment