Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sick day

My sweet Sarah
Have you ever talked about something, and then it came true?  It's called the Law of Attraction.  For example one day I was talking with my assistant, Caroline, about car wrecks for some reason (I don't really remember why), and then that day upon driving home, Caroline got into a minor car wreck.  Or another example is when you are thinking about a song, and then it comes on the radio.  Or like yesterday when I was talking about sick days, and then today my daughter Sarah has strep throat.  For the past day or two Sarah has been saying that her throat hurt.  I'd make her some tea, and then think that she was fine. This morning she woke up and said that it REALLY hurt.  As a working mom, this would be my dilemma. Do I just give her Advil and send her on her way to school?  Then go to work and feel guilty and wait for the school nurse to call?  Or do I take a PTO / sick day from work and take my child to the doctor, where she may or may not get a prescription for any medicine that will make her feel better?  Today, as a stay at home mom, I decided to keep her home from school and take her to the doctor.  A quick throat culture revealed that yes, Sarah did have strep. For the second time in 2 months, no less.  So it was off to CVS (my favorite drug store) to get the prescription filled.  A few weeks ago I was feeling like I was getting sick.  I even went to the doctor after a few days.  When I was a working mom I didn't go to the doctor unless I felt like I was DYING.   The doctor said I had a cold.  Take some Mucinex, and that will be $35 dollars please.  If I had been working, I'm sure that I wouldn't have gone to the doctor.  I would have popped some Advil and sat at my desk and tried to work.  Being out sick was looked down upon, and no one wanted to use up their vacation days being at home, sick.  But now as a stay at home mom, I got the Mucinex, took some Advil, and stayed on the couch all day long watching daytime TV.  And you know what, it was pretty nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment