Saturday, December 17, 2011

Please don't punch my kid in the face

While out of town this week on a job interview, I received an email from Sarah's Kindergarten teacher.  Apparently, one of Sarah's male classmates decided to punch her in the face.  Neither the teacher nor Sarah knew why he did this, and apparently was unprovoked.  The email went on to say that the boy's parents were called in to the school to speak with the principal, and that the boy had to apologize to Sarah.  This was not an email I wanted to see while 800 miles away from home.  And by the way, didn't this at least warrant a phone call from the teacher?  Not that I could have taken the call, however; my day was filled with 8 interviews and a store walk through. 

I forwarded the email to my husband and called home to talk to Sarah.  Did it hurt?  Yes, but it's fine now Mommy.  Why did he do that?  I don't know Mommy.  Hmm.  I flew home as planned Friday morning, which was the last day of school before "winter break".  I guess you can't say "Christmas vacation" anymore, even in Kindergarten.  I picked up Sarah, and she had several things to show me.  The boy had written out an apology letter to Sarah, and an apology letter to me and my husband.  There was also a letter from the boy's parents to me.  Additionally, there was a Hello Kitty doll.  The letters explained that the boy had to spend his allowance to get Sarah a gift as an apology / peace offering. The boy's Mom explained in her letter that her son had issues with "impulse control" and he had "made a bad choice."  Yeah, I guess he did. Wow.  I kinda felt bad for this boy.   As parents we never want our kids to be the ones making the "bad choice", but let's be honest, it happens. I'm glad these parents took it so seriously.  I also personally love Hello Kitty, and that helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment